Norovirus cases have been confirmed in the Wayanad district of Kerala. The state government on Friday urged the people to be careful. It is said that the virus causes vomiting and diarrhea. A total of 13 students of a veterinary college in Pookode near Vythiri in Wayanad district have been affected by the virus two weeks ago.
The health authorities said that everything is under control and they are preparing a data bank of the students who have been infected by the virus. The college authorities said that students living in hostels outside the campus have been infected with the virus. They collected the samples and have been sent to NIV in Alappuzha for testing. State Health Minister Veena George took stock of the situation in Wayanad.
Here are the symptoms of Norovirus:
The officials said that preventive measures including cholorination are going on. Driniking water sources should be hygienic then the disease can be cured quickly. The animal-borne disease can also be spread through direct contact with infected individuals.
Health Minister issued guidelines:
Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before eating and after using the toilet. Those who interact with animals should pay special attention.
Chlorinate drinking water sources, wells, and storage tanks with bleaching powder. Use chlorinated water for domestic use. Use only boiled water for drinking.